Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Redemption Run (Appropriately Christmas-Themed?)

Well, it's the day after Christmas and I'm back at work; as a good Jew-ish girl, I spent Christmas at home on my couch with a rented movie. I did add a short run to the training schedule yesterday because I was bored and figured I might as well jog towards the movie rental kiosk. The extra run was only for one mile, which amounted to a little more than ten minutes.

This morning was the first scheduled run of the week. I managed to run (almost) continuously for 2.1 miles (a little more than 1.95 miles, according to gmap-pedometer). That's the same distance as my horrible Sunday run and in much better time, so I'm happy about redeeming myself slightly. The hills got me this time, too...I had to slow down and power-walk two blocks when the uphill incline was particularly steep on my way back.


The first dip corresponds to jogging-in-place in front of the DVD kiosk, and the second dip is the walking-up-the-hill portion.

Incidentally, my Nike + congratulated me today for my "longest workout yet." Thanks, Nike +! I knew I paid you for something...

If I have the time/energy tomorrow, I might go for another quick 1-miler. I suspect it might be good for my endurance to log the extra miles, and 1 mile is short enough that I'm not tiring myself out for the longer Wed/Fri/Sun runs. I might try to make it a speed run, even!

I'm really noticing the positive effects of all this activity in my daily life. I feel like I'm in a much better mood during the day, and I'm certainly proud of myself for working towards something substantial.

2 comments:

J said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I read your posts - good for you for taking on the 10 miler! It looks like you have a good plan to follow. Trust me, you will totally be ready for that distance as long as you stay consistent. I was like you, starting from NO endurance. (It's my husband who is a natural with the endurance - bah!) Now I actually *gasp* enjoy the longer runs!

MoFarbs said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm starting to see small improvements, and I figure the best I can do is just stick to a regular training schedule and see how far I can get! I'm really determined to finish the race, so I guess that's a good starting point :)